"When you start your morning with good habits, you're setting yourself up for success all day long!"
~ Melinda Hershey, Health Educator
Are your mornings mayhem or magical? You get to decide. Starting your day off right is important for overall health and happiness, and having a good morning routine can help you to wake up feeling like you have direction, purpose, and energy to go about your day.
tips for a happier, healthier morning:
- Wake up earlier ~ Wake up early enough to start your day on a calm note with enough time for self care. Your entire day will unfold with more ease and productivity if you take the time to "fill up your gas tank" first!
- Drink water ~ After a night of sleeping and perspiring, your body needs to be rehydrated. Drinking water first thing in the morning not only hydrates your body (which helps with digestion, metabolism, skin and muscle health, and kidney function), it also helps wake you up, boosts your metabolism and energy levels, flushes out toxins, and gets your system up and running.
- Do Yoga/Stretching ~ Taking time to do some gentle stretching or yoga first thing in the morning loosens up your joints and increases flexibility, builds strength, gets your blood and endorphins flowing, centers your mind, and prepares you to calmly embrace the day.
- Journaling ~ You may find tremendous benefit from taking a few minutes to write down your morning thoughts or even just to organize yourself with a daily to-do list.
- Eat breakfast ~ Consuming a good quality, nutritionally balanced breakfast wakes up your metabolism, stabilizes blood sugar levels, maintains a healthy weight, gives you more strength and endurance to power through your morning, and helps you concentrate, focus, and be productive. Be sure to include some fruit, complex carbohydrates, healthy fat, and protein - don't forget the veggies!
- Take supplements ~ Striving to get all your nutrients from REAL food is ideal, but taking a properly balanced multi vitamin and mineral supplement can help fill in when you fall short.
- Exercise ~ Getting at least 30 minutes of exercise wakes up your metabolism, boosts circulation, raises endorphins, and energizes your body. Exercising in the morning is one of the best things you can do to start the day and will also cause you to make healthier decisions all day long.
- Shower ~ Cleanse your body and your mind. Be sure to include dry skin brushing to increase circulation and lymphatic drainage, break down unwanted toxins, remove dead skin, and rejuvenate the nervous system.
Making enough time for self care each morning by choosing to follow these simple tips demonstrates that you put your health first and that's a very good feeling! You've started your body slowly and gently, hydrated and nourished it, done some exercise, and prepared your body, mind, and spirit for the day. As a result, you'll be more centered, energetic, and enthusiastic, and you're more likely to feel and be a little healthier and happier.
Happy, Healthy Living!
JoAnn Newton is a Master Massage Therapist, Certified Diet Counselor & Holistic Nutrition Educator, and Spiritual Counselor who is committed to creating, living, and enjoying health, balance, and freedom on all levels, both personally and professionally, while providing educational and healing services.