A salad a day REALLY keeps the doctor away!!! Allowing yourself to become “addicted” to salad is one of the best steps you can take towards eating for optimal health.
It is recommended that at least 50% of our diet comes from a variety of raw foods, not only for their nutrients and cleansing action, but also for the enzymes that they contain that help us to digest and metabolize the cooked foods that we eat.
You can always throw in some eggs, shrimp, chicken, or beans, and some brown rice or quinoa and you’ve got a complete meal. This is especially great when you’re in a hurry or need to take a meal with you on the go. I usually make up a batch of my “Favorite Salad Combo” twice a week and it lasts me for a few days. I keep it interesting by changing up the veggies (depending on the season) and sometimes by adding fresh raw fruit like an apple or a pear. (By the way, I am kind of “known” for my salads!)
JoAnn's Favorite Salad Combo
- 4-6 cups 50% spring mix/50% spinach
- Small handful each of fresh parsley & cilantro (high cleansing herbs)
- 1/4 cup each - finely chopped green onion, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, red pepper, and zucchini
- 1/8 cup raw sunflower or pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 avocado
- lemon and olive oil dressing