The origin of the word disease is dis-ease: to not be at ease and harmony.
It is known that in all dis-ease, the human body is always acidic. An acidic pH can result from an acid forming diet, emotional stress, toxic overload, and immune reactions, or any process that deprives the cells of oxygen and other nutrients. To assist in the curing of any dis-ease, the higher the ratio of alkaline elements in the diet, the faster will be the recovery. Alkalis neutralize acids. Therefore, in the treatment of most dis-eases, it is most important that the diet includes plenty of alkaline foods to offset the effect of acid-forming foods.
Nutritional Suggestions for Injury or Illness
Alkalize your body:
- Reduce or AVOID "nutritional bandits" that are acid forming to the body - alcohol, caffeine, sugar, gluten, refined & processed foods, daily, beef & pork, unhealthy fats, and toxic chemicals.
- Drink at least 64 ozs. of pure water and herbal tea daily.
- Diet: 70% vegetables and fruits and 30% whole grains, legumes, nuts & seeds, and good quality fats and protein.
- Increase minerals! (See recipe for Mineral Rich Soup below.)
- For musculoskeletal concerns, increase magnesium to bowel tolerance - do not increase calcium.
- Buffered or Ester Vitamin C - 1,000 mg. 3x a day.
- Long hot baths in Epsom Salts (which is magnesium).
- Rest and RELAX!
- Deep breathe lots of fresh air.
- Massage Therapy when appropriate.
JoAnn's Mineral Rich Soup
This is another “staple” recipe for me. It’s a delicious way to get your veggies (and minerals) to alkalize the body! Just add some protein (I like to pair this with poached eggs) and it’s a perfectly balanced light meal.
- 2 qts. chicken broth or veggie broth
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion
- 1 cup carrots
- 1 cup celery
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 cups potatoes
- 2 cups zuchini or yellow squash
- 2 cups swiss chard or spinach
- 2 cups mushrooms (optional)
- Salt & pepper
Chop all vegetables. Saute onion, carrots, and celery in oil until tender. Add garlic and cook 1 minute more. Add remaining ingredients, bring just to a boil and then simmer on low until veggies are soft. Puree in a blender until desired consistency. Season to taste. Enjoy!
Happy, Healthy Living!
JoAnn Newton is a Holistic Nutrition Educator and Master Massage Therapist with a private practice in Graton, CA.
Passionate about helping people transform their health through holistic nutrition, she facilitates a 23 day online Nutritional E-Cleanse Program seasonally with coaching, compassion, and humor.