"If you fail to make a plan, then you plan to fail."
The holidays are almost here!!! As I shop for Thanksgiving dinner this next week, I will also begin to stock my kitchen for the holiday season. With increased gatherings, activities, and gift shopping on top of our already busy schedules, it's a time when our healthy diet can seriously suffer! While I am all for enjoying the holiday season and the extra treats it brings, I also like to "make a plan" and stock my kitchen with lots of healthy choices so I don't end up reaching for something less healthy when tired, stressed, or in a hurry.
"I've learned that if I stock my kitchen with nutritious foods that are versatile and easy to prepare, eating healthy meals and snacks isn't too difficult even during my busiest weeks."
~ Tina Haupert
Here's some of the things on my list and where you can purchase them:
appetizers & Snacks
- Olives from a good quality olive bar - Whole Foods
- Tamari Roasted Almonds - bulk bins @ Whole Foods
- Organic Hummus Dip - Trader Joe's
- Fresh Quacamole & Pico de Gallo - Whole Foods
- Organic Pop Corn with Olive Oil - Trader Joe's
- Garden of Eatin' Sesame Blue Chips - Whole Foods
- Mary's Gone Cracker's Original Crackers - Whole Foods
- Herbal Teas: current favorites are Traditional Medicinal's Roasted Dandelion Root Tea & Licorice Root Tea, Organic India's Tulsi Tea, Numi Turmeric Tea, and Yogi Ginseng Vitality - Whole Foods
- Organic Fair Trade Water Processed Decaffeinated Coffee Beans - Whole Foods
- Pellegrino Sparkling Water - Trader Joe's or Whole Foods
- Martinelli's Organic Sparkling Cider - Whole Foods
- Mendocino Brewing Red Tail Amber Ale - Trader Joe's
- Green Fin Organic Merlot, Red, or White Table Wine - Trader Joe's
- Whole Grains: Brown Rice (bulk bin) , Lundberg Farm's Wild Blend Rice, Quinoa (bulk bin), Red Mill's Gluten-Free Oats - Whole Foods. Organic Brown Rice Spaghetti Pasta, Organic Polenta - Trader Joe's
- Dried: Shredded Coconut, Raisins, Apples, Cranberries, Tomatoes - bulk bins @ Whole Foods
- Legumes: Split Peas (bulk bins), Organic canned Black Beans, Garbanzo Beans, Cannellini Beans, Great Northern Beans, and Refried Pinto Beans - Whole Foods
- Organic Tomato Sauce, Tomato Paste, & Diced Tomatoes - Whole Foods
- Canned Alaskan Wild Salmon - Whole Foods
- Divine Organics Raw Cacao - Whole Foods
- Organic 100% Italian Extra Virgin Olive Oil - Trader Joe's
- Organic Olive Oil Non-Stick Cooking Spray (no propellants) - Trader Joe's
- Organic Virgin Coconut Oil - Whole Foods
- Bragg's Raw Unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar - Whole Foods
- Napa Valley Naturals Organic Red Wine Vinegar - Whole Foods
- 365 Organic Chicken Broth, Imagine Organic Vegetarian No-Chicken Broth - Whole Foods
- Organic Wild Collected Raw Honey - Trader Joe's
- Organic Stevia - Trader Joe's
- Assortment of raw nuts & seeds: Cashews, Almonds, Pecans, Walnuts, Sunflower Seeds, Pumpkin Seeds - bulk bins @ Whole Foods
- Pastured Eggs - Whole Foods
- Goat Cheese Crumbles, Parmesan Cheese - Whole Foods
- Fresh Pesto Sauce - Whole Foods
- Organic Red Wine & Olive Oil Vinaigrette Salad Dressing - Trader Joe's
- Organic Corn Tortillas - Whole Foods
- Organic Butter, unsalted - Trader Joe's
- Organic Mayonnaise - Trader Joe's
- Organic Maple Syrup - Trader Joe's
- Organic Medjool Dates - Whole Foods
- Assortment of fresh organic fruits and vegetables - Whole Foods or local source
- An assortment of fish and meats purchased generally when on sale at Whole Foods.
- Organic Frozen Fruits for smoothies - Trader Joe's or Whole Foods
- Organic Brown Rice and Organic Quinoa microwavable pouches - Trader Joe's
- Organic Frozen Corn - Whole Foods or Trader Joe's
- An assortment of homemade soups or stews in individual portion containers
You may notice that there aren't any sweets listed above. Personally, I simply can't have sweets in the house and NOT overeat them, so I generally purchase or make desserts as special occasion treats only. Also, please note that not all of the items listed are "e-cleanse friendly" when on the Nutritional E-Cleanse Program, but rather good quality food items I include in my diet when not on the program.
Happy, Healthy Holidays!
JoAnn Newton is a Holistic Nutrition Educator and Master Massage Therapist with a private practice in Graton, CA.
Passionate about helping people transform their health through holistic nutrition, she facilitates the 23 day online Nutritional E-Cleanse Program seasonally with coaching, compassion, and humor.